This was from our second trip to South Dakota. This is Custer State Park. There is just something about these animals. They are so majestic. I never dreamt I would like our first trip to SD let alone asking to go back a second time. I highly recommend going to at least Rapid City at least once if you get the chance.
Last week the Timehop app on my phone kept showing me photos from 2 years ago when we took, what would be our last trip, to South Dakota. We were going to go again this summer but our reasons for going came home. It is beautiful country out there and I will admit that I am a little sad I didn’t get to see it one last time. I’ll never forget the time I spent in the Black Hills. Going to Bear Country, and seeing buffalo in Custer State Park, and a prairie dog town in Badlands National Park. I can say I have had free ice water at Wall Drugs been to the Corn Palace, and Storybook Island. I can say I have seen Mount Rushmore and a pig race at Old McDonald’s Farm. I have watched as lighting has lite up the night sky and rode a train from Keystone to Hill City and back winding through the lush green country side. I have taken a ride across the badlands felt that freedom on my face and breathed in all that open space. I never imagined I would enjoy the Black Hills of South Dakota as much as I did. Maybe some day I will get to go back and take all that beauty in one more time.
If its summertime and I’m going on vacation there is only one place I want to go. The Black Hills of SD. Three years ago we went to the Black Hills /Rapid City to visit family, it was our first trip out west, I really did not think I was going to like it out there. But the fact is I fell in love with its beauty. We went out again the next year. I have been there twice and would go again in a heartbeat. I think it is a trip you have to take at least once in your lifetime.
I know it has been a while since I posted last so here are a few updates:
1) It’s less than 30 days now till my 30th Birthday Celebration Trip at Disney
2) My cousin and his wife are moving back which means my favorite five-year old (their daughter who is like a niece to me) and her baby brother are going to be closer! That baby has already stolen my heart!
3) The down side to them moving back home, no more trips to South Dakota. I have come to love that place.
Recent Books Read:
1) “Spring Fever” by: Mary Kay Andrews
2) “Wife by Wednesday” by: Catherine Bybee
3) “Married by Monday” by Catherine Bybee
4) “Fiancé by Friday” by Catherine Bybee
5) “Single by Saturday” by Catherine Bybee
Recent Dishes from the Kitchen:
1) More Pioneer Woman Baked Ziti
2) Raspberry Lemonade Cake
3) More Black Bean and Corn Salsa
4) Nutella Brownies
5) Chocolate Lover’s Poke Cake
I’ll follow up a few of these updates with blog posts very soon.
21) I’m a big kid at heart.
22) I’m still trying to decide what I want to do when I grow-up. (Hopefully soon.)
23) I have a great group of friends and I’m thankful for them everyday.
24) I sometimes wonder what it would be like if Hollywood would remake “Gone With The Wind”.
25) I never dreamed I would travel to South Dakota once in my life let alone twice and fall in love with it’s beauty. I feel it is a trip you have to do at least once. Hopefully this summer we will be making our third trip.
Two summers ago a family vacation changed a part of me forever. Now in June every year I start getting a longing to “Take a ride across the badlands, feel that freedom on my face, breathe in all that open space.” As Jason Aldean sings in the song “Fly Over States”. ‘Cause on the other side of that ride across the badlands is Rapid City, SD. A place I have come to love! And it is not just because my favorite four-year old lives there, it’s more. There is something about the Black Hills that has drown me in and won’t let me go. I find myself wishing, a lot, that I could be in the Black Hills of SD. Usually going out west is a once in a lifetime trip but I have been out west twice, two summers in a row. And I would love to go back this summer too but I can’t. It is beautiful out there! It is like a little piece of heaven on earth! And the ride out there is like none other. I know most people think I am crazy when I say how much I love to drive to SD and back. It is a little far but well worth every mile of it. I can’t get enough of it either. There is so much to see that you miss by flying to Rapid City. Golden fields of wheat and corn and the badlands! Each turn in the road brings something new and interesting to see. When in Rapid City I love to go to Bear County and to Custer State Park and see the buffalo roam. It’s amazing to think that at one time those beautiful creatures were almost gone forever. There are big and fast but beautiful to watch. To look into one of their eyes is like looking into their soul. Boy I wish I was leaving for South Dakota tomorrow. Maybe next summer I will go back! Makes me think of the song Doris Day sang in the movie “Calamity Jane” with Howard Keel.
“Take me back to the black hills, the black hills of Dakota. To the beautiful Indian country that I love. Lost my heart in the black hills, the black hills of Dakota. Where the pines are so high that they kiss the sky above.”
Read more: DORIS DAY – THE BLACK HILLS OF DAKOTA LYRICS