This month Nashville’s Grand Ole Opry celebrated 95 years of music, laughs, and good times. I’ve sat in the front row, I’ve been to an induction show, and I have even seen a show at the historic Rhyman Auditorium in downtown. I have laughed, cried, and sang along. I’ve seen legends, up in coming stars, and top of the chart artists. I love the history of the Opry and the fact that they have kept the circle unbroken for these 95 years, through think and thin, sadness and dark days. Happy 95th Grand Ole Opry!
Wow, Country Music has taken a hit the last week. First Kenny Rogers, then Opry Member Jan Howard, and then the very shocking passing of Joe Diffie. Kenny was just iconic, and his music is timeless. My favorite Kenny song is “Coward of the County”, which I’m sure is not one of his more popular songs. I have seen Jan Howard a few times at the Opry. And Joe Diffie, there are no words there. I grew up listening to his songs. Through all these hard times I am glad the “Circle Will Not Be Broken” and the Opry is still going on. That is the one thing I look forward to on Saturday Nights right now.
I thought I would share a list of ten places/things I have been/done that still surprise even myself.
1) New Orleans, LA
2) Eating beignets at the Cafe Du Monde
3) Staying in a Royal Guest room at Port Orleans Riverside (not just once but twice now)
4) Dinner at Paula Dean’s Lady and Sons restaurant in Savannah (twice)
5) Staying at the Christmas Place Hotel in Pigeon Forge, TN
6) Kentucky Wildcats Basketball game at Rupp Arena
7) Garth Brooks concert, twice
8) Seeing a Grand Ole Opry induction from the front row
9) Grand Ole Opry at the Ryman
10) Staying at the Opryland Hotel
Two Coming this Year:
1) Disney Cruise
2) Eating at Cinderella’s Castle
I’m going to change gears a little bit this week. This week I experienced a lot of new things/firsts and I thought I would share them with you.
- I traveled to two new states: Mississippi and Louisiana
- I had fried catfish for the first time
- I visited New Orleans (Hopefully for the first time)
- I rode on a double decker bus for the first time
- I ate my first beignets from the Cafe du Monde
- I saw the Duck Commander wear house and shopped at the store.
- I saw Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers at the Opry
I think that is about it.
Last week I was saddened by the news of the passing of Grand Ole Opry star Little Jimmy Dickens. I was able to see him on the Opry stage many times over the years. With his passing there will be a missing piece to the Opry Stage and Opry House. You could tell when he was on that Opry Stage he was at home doing what he loved. Goodbye Little Jimmy Dickens.
In the spirit of Independence Day tomorrow my favorite thing is my country, the great USA. I love a lot of things about this country. I love that we have places like the Outer Banks, Disney World, and the Blacks Hills and that we can travel to them. I love that we have National Parks like Yellowstone, the Badlands, and the Smokey Mountains. I love that we have shows like Castle, Criminal Minds, and Duck Dynasty. I love that we have Mickey Mouse. I love that we have a history even if it’s not all good. I love that we have movies like Gone With The Wind, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, and Sleeping Beauty. I love that we have the Grand Ole Opry, Country Music, and NASCAR. I love that we are free. I am thankful for the brave men and woman who help protect this great nation. I could go on and on with the things I love about this country but I will stop there. I am proud to be an American and I will show my love for country tomorrow. Happy 4th of July to all my readers. Thank you for reading.
16) Over the past few years I have picked up an obsession for purchasing cookbooks and aprons.
17) I discovered I really like the taste of champagne, especially peach, this year. (Something I tried for my 30th Birthday)
18) I am fascinated by the Civil War and love Antebellum homes.
19) If I’m in Nashville the Grand Ole Opry is a must for me. I love the tradition of the Opry.
20) I think you are never too old to go to Disney World!