I am not familiar with the New Orleans before Katrina, or the New Orleans right after Katrina. But I am familiar with the New Orleans almost 10 years after Katrina, and I think it is pretty great! It was 10 years ago today that Katrina ripped through the city and left total devastation. Thinking of New Orleans and all the other cities in the Gulf that were left in ruins after Katrina tore through them.
What does it say about you when making a pros and cons list about moving to Florida the number one Pro is Disney World and the number two Pro is more Dunkin’ Donuts? On the plus side my major Cons were the three babies.
Southern Belle Auntie Blog
Each year I like to have a reading challenge. This year I am doing that Kindle Love Stories Challenge that I have been sharing with you. I already have in mind what I think I would like to do for next year. Each month next year I would like to read a book that I should have read in my youth but didn’t. I have a few ideas but I was wondering if you had any ideas too. Now I have read To Kill a Mockingbird, The Grapes of Wrath, Pride and Prejudice, and even Animal Farm. So those are off the list. Some of my ideas are Little Women, The Red Badge of Courage, Their Eyes Were Watching God, and The Scarlet Letter. Even these are not set in stone.
I love poor man lasagna! Not only is in easy to make it is great tasting too. I know the name sounds strange but it says it all, it is a way to make lasagna on a budget. I have googled poor man lasagna before and have found a few different recipes actually. This may have other names but this is what we have called this since I was a kid. Basically all it is boxed mac and cheese, spaghetti sauce, and cheese. Now you can add meat to it if you would like, that is the other great thing about it, you can add what you want and make it your own. Usually I use just Kroger brand mac and cheese or Kraft mac and cheese, this time I used the Anne’s mac and cheese. I have always wanted to try it and figured this was as good as time as any. I also added some Italian seasoning and garlic powder to my spaghetti sauce to give it a little more flavor. The key to good poor man lasagna is making it to your taste. Here is how I made my most recent batch…I prepared the mac and cheese like it said on the box. Usually I just use the sauce right out of the jar and do not add anything to it. But this time since I added some flavor to it, I let it cook on low for about 20 minutes before I even started the mac and cheese. Just enough to let the extra Italian seasoning and garlic flavor cook in a bit. After the mac and cheese was done I poured in the spaghetti sauce and mixed it all together. I used to boxes of mac and cheese and 1 1/3 jars spaghetti sauce but again it’s all about your taste. If you like more sauce add it, if you want the mac and cheese to stand out more add less sauce, if you like meat add it. There is no right or wrong way. Usually after I mix the spaghetti sauce and mac and cheese together I would pour it in a baking dish throw some cheese on time and cook till the cheese was nice and golden brown. Since I was making mine for lunches for work and I was running out of time. I just put the mixture into three good size microwavable containers and throw some Italian blend cheese on top. Then when I heated it up for lunch the cheese melted, it was not golden brown, but it was nice and melted. I hope you all enjoy!
Earlier this year I took over creating the monthly newsletter where I work. One of the features each month, probably the most popular part, is have usually two people answer a set of questions so we can get to know them a little better. I have answered these same questions on here before (March 2013 I think it was) but I changed the questions up a bit when I took over, so here is the updated version.
1. What is your favorite movie? Gone With the Wind & Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
2. If you won the lottery, what’s the first thing you would do? Family Trip to Disney World and then a trip to New Orleans
3. If you were given $10,000 to donate to any charity, which one would you choose and why? The Victory Junction Gang Camp, they make it possible for kids who would not usually be able to go to camp due to illness actually be able to attend camp
4. If you could visit one place where would it be? The Hamptons
5. Name one person (living or deceased) that you wish you could meet (or could have met). My grandpa (my dad’s dad) he died when my dad was only 16 and I think we would have had a lot in common.
6. Do you have any hidden talents? No
7. If you could learn to do anything what, what would it be? Not be afraid to try new things and to live life more
8. If you could live in any time period, what would it be? Antebellum South (just for the homes and dresses)
9. Do you have any pets? If so what kind? Yes, one dog a mix but he looks like a black lab, is name is RP, which is short for Rolly Polly
10. Who or what inspires you? My family
I think their is a trip to the Smoky Mountains in this Southern Belle’s near future. I am excited about that. Even though I have been to the Smoky Mountains a lot, and the place gets busier and busier each and every year, there is something about the place that soothes the soul. I know for me part of it is the food, that Smoky Mountain Food is good for the soul, it may not be too good for the waist line, but good for the soul. Another part is the natural beauty, even though it builds up each and every year, there still is a lot of natural beauty there and it’s beauty is good for the soul too. Looking forward to some soul soothing very soon. And some reading, shopping, and most importantly relaxing.